Friday, March 2, 2012

Ceviche

     Along the coastal area in Sonora Mexico is where I first tried ceviche. This dish is rich in flavor and has many different options for main ingredients ranging from shrimp to scallops to white fish or a combination of any kind of seafood. This dish has so many variations it would be a great task to try to list them all. I will list the recipe that I use which includes shrimp. If anyone has any variations on this please feel free to add them. I would love to see what you can come up with. 
     When making ceviche I do not use exact measurements, nor do I always use the "traditional " methods of preparing this dish. It is very easy to take short cuts to save time. I'm sure that you will find your own time saving tricks.
     I first start with a pound of  uncooked shrimp that has been peeled and devaned. If the shrimp is large you may want to cut them into smaller pieces. Place the shrimp in a bowl and and squeeze 20 - 40 key limes over the shrimp. Place the bowl into the refrigerator for an hour. The lime juice will will cook the shrimp. while waiting for the shrimp to cook dice a medium yellow onion, two to three fresh jalapenos, one avocado, celery,  Roma tomatoes, cilantro, and cucumber. When the shrimp is ready I mix all ingredients together and pour  clamato into the bowl until all ingredients are covered with juice. to serve I simply place a tostada no a plate and ladle ceviche generously over the tostada.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment